In 1372 the Ferdinandsburg was destroyed by the power-loving Bishop of Münster, Florenz von Wevelingshausen (1364-1379). Legends tell of the robber barons of Dinklage but the historical sources do not speak in such terms.
In 1588 the Dinklage family was in a financially precarious position. In part because of this, Magdalene von Dinklage married Caspar von Ledebur. A consequence of this was that the right of inheritance of the Dietrichsburg went over to the Ledebur family.
In 1597 the couple expanded the house to its current dimensions. The "alliance-crest" of the two families is still to be seen above the main entrance and the year of Caspar von Ledebur's death, 1597, is cut into the weathervane on the tower above the main house.
In 1663, in response to an inheritance conflict in the Ledebur family, Prince-Bishop Christoph Bernhard von Galen (1650-1678) gave full administration of the Dietrichsburg to his brother Heinrich. The Ledebur family took him to court over this but it was only in 1801 that the Ledebur family and Clemens August Freiherrn von Galen came to an agreement on the matter.
In 1667 Heinrich von Dinklage's son, Franz Wilhelm von Galen, began renting the last of the Dinklage houses, the Hugoburg.
The year 1803 and the "Napoleanic years" that followed were very challenging for the Herrlichkeit Dinklage. Control of Cloppenburg and Vechta, and with them Dinklage, were promised to the Herzog von Oldenburg. Clemens August von Galen (Lord from 1770-1820) had to step down from his position as Droste. As compensation he was given the title Graf (Count) from the Prussian king and he maintained a number of special privileges.
On March 16th, 1878 Clemens August Graf von Galen was born at Burg Dinklage as the 11th child of Ferdinand Graf von Galen and Elisabeth Reichsgräfin von Spee.
In 1941, and in keeping with the wishes of his uncle Bishop Clemens August, Graf Christoph Bernhard gives refuge to the Benedictine nuns of Vinnenberg after they are expelled from their monastery by the Nazi government. In 1945 the nuns return to Vinnenberg.
In 1961 the sisters renovate the barn into their monastic church.